Can't yum update - Incorrect location of kernel-source-0-2.6.2-1.87.i386.hdr

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sat Feb 21 03:56:32 UTC 2004

Brian Krahmer wrote:
> I don't know much about the update process, but when I do a yum update (with
> baseurl specified as
> ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/development/$basearch
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearc
> h, it's failing from both locations because of the aforementioned package.
> Snooping around in ftp, I find that header in
> ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/development/headers.  I can only assume
> there is a typo in a file somewhere...  Can anybody fix this?
>
> brian

The headers that are straight into the development directory will work
until you get to a noarch rpm. (I found out from my own mistakes using
this headers directory)

I really don't understand the need to use the $basearch in the url. I
usually just use i386 instead and it works fine. I don't see this
machine changing to any other type archetecture, so why not use the
simple 4 characters instead?

I checked the mirror you mentioned above and the headers directory was
also located within the

ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/development/i386
directory.
Using this link should work fine.

I am assuming you have an i686 machine.

Jim