SMB Shares in nautilus

Jim Daleo jdaleo at rcn.com
Sat Feb 21 21:55:55 UTC 2004

>On Sat, 2004-02-21 Michel wrote:

>>On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 00:20 -0500, Jim Daleo wrote:

>> Now that I added rules to iptables to allow smb services I can browse
>> my home network.  When I  click on a share, however, I get a message
>> that the action associated with the share is invalid.
>>
>> What is supposed to happen when I click an smb share.

>I'm back on Fedora 1 at the moment until a kernel problem is fixed, but
>last time I tried Nautilus 2.5.x has broken network browsing. Happened
>before on 2.4.x IIRC.

>Try entering the URI directly? CTRL+L then enter 'smb://COMPNAME'
>without quotes

Thanks for the Input.

But:

I work for a small company that has Linux in server room but Win98 on
the desktops.  I am trying to lay the ground work for replacing
Windows.  There is always resistance to change so I would want to remove
any perceived shortcomings to ease the transition.

I am afraid that asking uses to manually enter the name of the share
will be seen as a step backwards.

Regards

Jim