Testing test releases: do not update (was: yum.conf that works)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sun Feb 22 09:42:37 UTC 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 11:24:16AM -0800, Rick Johnson wrote:
> You want development for updates. The core/test/1.90/i386/os is for the
> initial install. It *seems* that just about every package has been
> updated since then. The stock yum.conf that ships uses the devel tree -
> and the Red Hat folks here have suggested that you pull updates from there.
>
> I imagine come FC2 Test 2 or 3, they may split the updates to
> updates/test/1.91 or something like that in order to provide us with a
> more stable testing ground.

I would think the reason to have a test release is to have a well
defined point in development time to test against. If you point your
package resolvers to development/rawhide, then that's what you will be
testing instead.

E.g. if you want to have FC2test1 installed and tested, file bug
reports etc., then do not update. Or if you do, probably you should
not file bugs against FC2test1 anymore (but FC devel), as the set of
bugs will already be different.

All from my humble understanding of the current release
process/policy, Red Hatters feel free to shoot and correct me ;)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de