Testing test releases: do not update

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Feb 22 21:13:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 03:57:58PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> from what i've read so far, the consensus is that testers are encouraged
> to update against rawhide and to file bug reports on all of those updates.
> i think that's a silly idea.  it's silly because rawhide is defined as the
> repository for the latest, greatest, still-wet releases of software that
> have absolutely no guarantee of working and, IMHO, it's does a disservice
> to testers to ask for their time to test, and then give them what is
> essentially a moving target.

Rawhide is the current edge of the wave. Without people testing stuff that
hits rawhide everyone just gets stuck at the bugs which may already have
been fixed, or files reports on fixed problems.

If you hit a bug in a given package you really want to try the rawhide
version in case someone has fixed it. There is a fair change it has been
fixed already with the most glaring bugs (eg my panel menu works after
the update) although the kernel seems to still have problems and the
root menu translations are *STILL* broken (gripe gripe ;))

Alan