/sbin not in path

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Feb 24 01:58:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 08:16:49PM -0800, Sean Earp wrote:
> My question is...      Is the omission of the /sbin directory in the
> default path an error, or is something messed up with my installation?

Intentional. /sbin and /usr/sbin are supposed for binaries which are
of (almost) only use to the root user, not normal unpriviledged
users. As such, $PATH of non-root users doesn't contain any sbin
directories.

Wether this distinction makes great sense or not is a debate which
can easily explode to a flamefest, so I won't get into arguing.
:-)

>   As far as I recall, ifconfig worked just fine in FC1

No, FC1 works as described above (as did all Red Hat Linux releases
I can remember).

Regards,
Daniel