README in /usr/src/linux* need updating

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Feb 25 17:29:48 UTC 2004

I was considering configuring a custom kernel, mainly for
reintroducing smbfs.

I'm running the updated one of a few days ago (kernel-2.6.3-1.97)
Judging by reports here, it is more stable for now than the newer
one in rawhide.

But to cut to the chase:

I happened to look at the README in /usr/src/linux*
and noticed it has some fairly dated material in it.

[...]
o  - In order to boot your new kernel, you'll need to copy the kernel
o    image (found in .../linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage after compilation)
o    to the place where your regular bootable kernel is found.
o    For some, this is on a floppy disk, in which case you can copy the
o    kernel bzImage file to /dev/fd0 to make a bootable floppy.
[...]

That is no longer possible...

[...]
o    If you boot Linux from the hard drive, chances are you use LILO which
o    uses the kernel image as specified in the file /etc/lilo.conf.  The
o    kernel image file is usually /vmlinuz, /boot/vmlinuz, /bzImage or
o    /boot/bzImage.  To use the new kernel, save a copy of the old image
o    and copy the new image over the old one.  Then, you MUST RERUN LILO
o    to update the loading map!! If you don't, you won't be able to boot
o    the new kernel image.

That hasn't been true for several versions now.

Does this need to go the Bugzilla route or can I just submit a diff
somewhere and hope it is accepted.