New kernels and smbfs

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Feb 25 17:41:08 UTC 2004

Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 17:17, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Do the latest *100+ kernels have smbfs built in once again?
>
> no. I want to try and get folks to beat on cifs some more before
> falling back to smbfs.  The upstream folks are very receptive to
> feedback, so if you have a problem, mail its maintainer
> Steven French <sfrench at us.ibm.com> and let him know what exactly
> is failing.

Thanks for the pointer but just sneaking a preview question here:
Is cifs read-only by derault or something?
My trouble is getting things mounted rw.

Its fat32 not NTFS so should be writable some how, with correct
options, at least it would seem so from man mount.cifs.

example that results in ro mounting:
  (wrapped for mail)
  mount.cifs  //192.168.0.15/J-ahn-d \
    /mnt/J-ahn-d -o rw,username=Administrator,password=''