question regarding mount.cifs, samba, kernel 2.6.3

Bart Kalita bartk at clara.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 17:17:27 UTC 2004

Harry Putnam wrote:

>"shrek-m at gmx.de" <shrek-m at gmx.de> writes:
>

>>Bart Kalita wrote:
>>

>>>I'm still trying to mount  remote  WIN  shares on FC2  after finding
>>>"sharity" and realising that in  "free" mode it allows  only  for 1
>>>share to be mounted  and that  $:  mount.cifs   comes up with
>>>"command not found" I'm at  a loss  as to what to do next.
>>>

>shrek:
>

>>$ rpm -qpl
>>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/samba-client-3.0.2a-1.i386.rpm
>>| grep -i cifs
>>/sbin/mount.cifs
>>/usr/share/man/man8/mount.cifs.8.gz
>>
>>$ cat /etc/fedora-release;rpm -qf /sbin/mount.cifs
>>Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)
>>samba-client-3.0.2-7.FC1
>>

>>as root
>>eg.
>># mount -t cifs -ousername=user //server/share /mnt/cifs
>>should work
>>

>Bart:
>

>>it works!
>>

>Are you guys aboe to write to the mounted share?
>
>I'm able to mount the share but not write to it:
>
>My command:
>(wrapped for mail)
>mount -t cifs -ousername=Administrator,password="" \
>  //exp-xp/J-ahn-d /mnt/J-ahn-d
>
>Mount shows it mounted
>   [...]
>  /dev/hdb3 on /arch type ext3 (rw)
>  /dev/hdb10 on /var/www type ext3 (rw)
>  //exp-xp/J-ahn-d on /mnt/J-ahn-d type cifs (0)
>
>But no write:
>
>cd /mnt/J-ahn-d
>  (I can see the files with ls but:)
>[root] # touch it
>touch: cannot touch `it': Permission denied
>[reader.local.net0]/mnt/J-ahn-d
>

>I'm curious if you guys see that `(0)' as above in mount output?

[bart at nemesis bart]$ mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
//Akhram/downs on /home/bart/akhram/ type cifs (0)
//hades/music on /home/bart/music/ type cifs (0)

Yep, the (0)  is there. Despite the fact that first mount is mounted as
administrator.

And just one more Q, is there a possibility to have thouse volumes
mounthed at boot? and am I right to thing that it would be done via cron
job?

Bart Kalita  MCP

www.bart-domain.com

www.astradine.no-ip.org