kernel panic

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at rogers.com
Sat Jan 3 14:53:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 09:37:14 -0500
Nathan Bryant <nbryant at optonline.net> wrote:

> root=/dev/sda6 wasn't working for me with 2.6.x, and I spent some time
> tearing my hair out before figuring out I needed to label things. This
> will cause headaches with upgrades to FC2 for people who originally
> installed redhat 6 and got to fedora through a series of upgrades (so
> they dont have labelled filesystems)

You are not forced to use labels.  Specifying the correct drive/partition
will work.   Not sure what you were doing wrong in the example you
mention.

> And now apparently the root=LABEL=/ system may not work for some
> people--I assume it applies to those who aren't using initial
> ramdisks.(?) (Under what kernel versions, 2.4 2.6? This info should go
> into bugzilla)

It does not work without an initrd.   The system as supplied by the Fedora
project has an initrd.   If people using labels customize their system
they can provide an initrd.   It's the way it works, it's not a bug.

> Seems both those pieces of logic in the kernel could stand to be
> rewritten as a single subroutine

Labels are not in the kernel.  They're in the initrd.   The kernel doesn't
know anything about it.

Sean.