x86_64 vs i[36]86 arch question

Boszormenyi Zoltan zboszor at freemail.hu
Tue Jan 13 14:06:21 UTC 2004

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

Justin M. Forbes írta:
> You might be better off starting off with a proper biarch tree.  If you
> look at the AMD64 FAQ http://wwww.linuxtx.org/amd64faq.html it will point

Thanks for the pointer.

> you to the FC1 preview tree.  Once you install that, you can point yum to
> the development repositories and it should do the right thing (update the
> proper packages both 32bit and 64bit).
>
>>Can anaconda detect the situation where I already instelled
>>the i386 version and keep them while installing the x86_64 version?
>>

> This method is not recommended as most packages are actually conflicting.
> libs are meant to be installed biarch and libtool handles things to make
> sure the right bin gets the right libs.

I see.

>>Justin M. Forbes suggested (Re: Fedora/x86_64 vs 32-bit user space)
>>that I try to make a dual boot. How can I share /boot?
>>Both kernel-2.6.1-1.34.i686.rpm and kernel-2.6.1-1.34.x86_64.rpm
>>has the same kernel filename.
>>

> By dual boot, I was referring to a full installation of both the 32bit FC
> OS and the 64bit FC OS.   They can share /home and data filesystems, but
> they definately need seperate /boot, /usr, and preferably /etc and /var.
> This is only really of use if you need to run 32bit games (64bit DRI cannot
> run 32bit with hardware acceleration), or perhaps for running things like
> VMWare or other 32bit apps which include kernel modules.

Yes, I already guessed that I will need separate / (containing /etc ...),
/usr, /var for a dual boot. What I wanted to achieve is to have a single
boot menu. As the current situation stands, I will need two /boot
and manually set up an entry in the default one -it would be the
32 bit Fedora- so it boots another grub (that boots the 64 bit Fedora).
An entry similar to one that boots into a Win* should do, at least I hope.

> Hope this helps,
> Justin M. Forbes

Thanks.

--