file sharing

stephan schutter rhl at farorbit.com
Thu Jan 15 16:17:11 UTC 2004

Sorry about the tone... I a relaying my managers questions... They want
something that just works... They read about Linux and how great it is; but
this does not match their experience when sitting down in front of a Linux
machine.

This is a desktop related issue, naturally. Knowing that Apple uses a UNIX
core and manages to make it easy to use, they wonder when the Linux vendors
are going to do the same.

I am frequently challenged by managers and my colleagues: "why do they have
to make it so difficult?"

This makes Linux a hard sell for me.

So: why not have a default configuration that works? By default, when you
install FC1, FC1 has these issues:

1. When clicking on the network browser, you can not actually browse the
network. Instead you get an error about wins servers... Windows works fine.

2. Name resolution does not work correctly because FC1 does not pick up all
the information from the DHCP (win2k DDNS) servers (wins, multiple search
domains etc.) I am sure that somehow it is Microsoft's fault, but it needs
to work none the less to be accepted.

3. Checking the SMB authentication box and entering the right domain name
and server etc. does not result in being able to log on using the AD
credentials. It is misleading to have such a dialogue box that does not do
what it says... or have any information of what else to do...

Stephan