Selinux and Reiserfs

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 16:42:31 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 14:39, Dave Hawkes wrote:

> However I still get the "Operation not supported" error from setfiles so
> I assume the reiserfs selinux kernel patches (using kernel 2.6.0-1.41)
> are not implemented? Does anyone know if that is the case?

Yes.  There are actually two separate bits needed in the filesystem to
support SELinux: extended attributes, and a handler for the specific
"security.*" namespace that SELinux uses.  Reiserfs has neither,
unfortunately.  XFS has xattrs, but doesn't have a security.* handler
yet (the XFS folks will need to decide an on-disk encoding for that
first.)  ext2 and ext3 are the fully-implemented filesystems for SELinux
for now.

Cheers,
 Stephen