file sharing

Epps, Aaron M. Epps.Aaron at mayo.edu
Thu Jan 15 21:47:16 UTC 2004

    Good point, there's a careful balancing act that has to be done when you (Fedora) consider automatic configuration vs. ease of use.  Microsoft has chosen the latter of the two and look where it got them, the next Windows XP service pack that's coming out is going to clamp down on all of the services/ports that are left wide open by a default Windows XP install because M$ has been getting burned by several different virus/worms.
    I think the Fedora project has chosen to give everyone a secure installation by default, if you want to open up your system to the world after the fact that's your choice.  Again, there is no "hacking" involved in setting this up, unless you consider using a CLI and editing config files "hacking".  Also you must keep in mind that Samba has to reverse engineer everything to work with AD, which M$ stole from Novell, and that is by no means a trivial task.  I'd say if you really wanted to demo to your company the power/flexibility/freedom of Linux to setup a Samba server as a domain controller.  Then try using the GUI Samba Authentication tool and see if it works... I bet it would.

  _____