file sharing

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Jan 19 05:21:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 15:16, Alan Cox wrote:
> Im not sure the Fedora set up is perfect. I'd still really like to get
> into a situation where the first time I go to say cups and add a printer
> it also kicks the firewall tools to sort out if you want remote access,
> and it takes it away when its no longer relevant

IMO, this is the right approach.

Some people want completely automatic opening of ports (i.e. holes in
their firewall/security).  Not me.

Instead of just opening ports without the user/administrator knowing
(bad cop, no donut!), the addition or reconfiguration of a service
should require human acknowledgment to open a hole in the security
configuration.

Of course, the balance between automation and administrator
authorization is the part of this that would probably be the most widely
debated.

> Little project for someone 8)

Sigh...if I only had the time right now to add one more to my list.
Maybe in a month or so?

/me cowardly refuses to hold breath and wait.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor