file sharing

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Jan 19 05:21:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 15:28, stephan schutter wrote:
> Thank you Alan. Me to.
>
> And once again, I am not talking about servers, and I do not see how being
> able to authenticate to Active Directory by default is "unsafe".

Because, the hash algorithm used by Microsoft for "secure" password
based authentication is insecure.  Go out and google for information
about that, you should find plenty of material.

However, I think you are missing the point.  Most Linux distributions
(Fedora included) were not created in order to provide a drop in
replacement to Windows.  The fact that we *can* authenticate against AD
domains is a near miracle in and of itself, given the ridiculous
obfuscation that Microsoft goes through in their protocols in order to
try (and fail) to *prevent* anyone else (especially Linux?) from being
able to use them.

Lastly, I would like to point out that this is the Fedora TEST list.
This entire thread belongs on the Fedora list.  Perhaps a couple of
items could be discussed on the Fedora Developer list.  This statement
is more for the archives rather than you, Stephen, as you have already
heard this before.

[SNIP]
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>