emachines laptop

Mike Larkin mlarkin at azathoth.net
Tue Jan 27 11:18:00 UTC 2004

The 2nd dimm slot is internal, inside the system (but I did confirm with
the eMachines rep that there really is a dimm in there, it's not some
RAM soldered on the system board). It's not a field/user-replacable
module. :(

Hence, unless you want to void the warranty, you've got to send it to
eMachines and get an RMA for them to install the memory for you.

That's not good news, but at least they offered to do it for me under
warranty.

As for the drive, it's a 60GB Toshiba 6021GAS, 4200RPM and 2MB cache
(low end unit).

I can't try the memory suggestion without replacing both modules, so
even if I were to do that, it would be a while before  I could comment
on the effect.... I can however say that the clock speed is not 2GHz but
rather 1.8GHz..  3 different OSes all report 1.8GHz.

On another subject - is AMD64 ACPI any better under 2.6.1? Because
without ACPI for power management, you only get about 1 hr battery life
under FC1, while with Win32 ACPI battery management, it's closer to 3 hours.

-ml