New Nvidia driver with 4k stack support is out

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 3 14:41:30 UTC 2004

On Saturday 03 July 2004 10:11, Charles Curley wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:04:26AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 01 July 2004 01:57, Mark Bradbury wrote:
>> >Get it while its hot
>> >
>> >ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6106/README.txt
>> >http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6106/NVIDIA-Linu
>> >x-x 86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run
>>
>> Unforch, the second line above is an unlistable virtual directory
>> no matter how I approach it with mozilla.  Can someone post the
>> real linkage please.
>
>Gene, it looks like Kmail wrapped the second URL into two lines. You
>might look into housebreaking Kmail.

I did "housebreak" kmail before I clicked on the link, by shifting it
left off screen about 3 inches, and pulling the right edge out until
it wasn't wrapped.

That got me a no permission error.  kmail is using konquerer.  I have
moz-1.7 installed, but someone needs to show me the correct linkage
to make kmail use it, just selecting mozzila from the list doesn't
work, wrong option or something.

However, in trying to get to a part of the page that would let me
follow links onward to the file, every shortened path was an
"unlistable virtual directory"

I did eventually get it, but preparatory to trying to install it, I
put Mesa(Lib/Demos)-6.0.1 in (I think, glxinfo still claims its 4.0.3
or thereabouts).  In any event glxgears is only running about 170fps,
and tuxracer's screen updates are best described as "glacial".

I'll have to rebuild by kernel to use it as I currently have fbnv or
whatever its called, built in, which won't work from previous
experiences with the nvidia driver.  And I don't build dri at all
because the help says its not nvidia related. 3dfx, sis, ati,
rage/radion but not nvidia.

If someone can further clarify that for me, it would be appreciated.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.