NOPs in TCP traffic

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Jul 12 11:05:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:44:00AM +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> Problem is that some sites load like treacle.  For these site, you can see
> individual packets of text coming in about once a second or every few
> seconds.  Other sites are fine.

I am seeing this too -- and I have the same ISP.

> Any ideas or interpretations of the tcpdump data?

The 'win 45' stuff is meant to be scaled.  At the beginning of the TCP
connection you'll see 'wscale 7' from your end, i.e. 45<<7, i.e. 5760.

Try 'echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling'.  For me, this
makes the problem go away entirely.

So is this a Linux kernel problem, or a problem at the ISP's end?

Tim.
*/