Where is Ximian Evolution

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Tue Jul 13 12:44:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 12:47, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> Has Novell taken over Ximian evolution?

Novell bought Ximian last summer, and SUSE a few months later. I would
expect Ximian Evolution to be re-branded as Novell Evolution, but apart
from that it will continue to be GPL, and will continue to be part of
Fedora Core (in fact it will be part of the core GNOME desktop from
GNOME 2.8, which will be part of FC3).

> What is the closest thing to evolution that I can try besides kmail?

Why do you want to change from Evolution? Novell are on a Linux/Open
Source kick, and have actually open sourced some of their other products
(such as Connector, iFolder). Evolution isn't going anywhere. If you're
just looking to evaluate other mail apps then you could look at
Sylpheed, Balsa, Mozilla mail, or Thunderbird.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com