Where is Ximian Evolution

Ernest L. Williams Jr. ernesto at ornl.gov
Wed Jul 14 01:25:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 07:33 -0500, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 06:47, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has Novell taken over Ximian evolution?
>
> Yes, but not just Evolution. They now own Ximian in its entirety.
>
> > What is the closest thing to evolution that I can try besides kmail?
>
> Why are you looking to move from Evolution?
I really like evolution but since the Novell purchase did the
development slow down.  I have not seen any recent updates on rawhide.
The version that I currently have crashes every time I send e-mail.
My version: evolution-1.5.9.2-1

> It is still part of the
> default FC distribution and will be for the foreseeable future, unless
> Novell closes it. In that case, I would expect to see a fork based upon
> the last available Open Source version.
>
> The argument against that step however is that Novell has made the
> Novell (formerly Ximian) Connector available as Open Source. This
> suggests a continuation of making these available to the community
> freely under the GPL.
If they remain GPL, I will stick with evolution.

--
Ernest L. Williams Jr.