stuck w/ a 640 x 480 resolution - Dell 828656 Graphics controller

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 15 22:19:22 UTC 2004

Mitch Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 05:48, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>1) Is there a way to get the resolution corrected to do better than 640
>>x 480, with this type of video card, using Fedora?
>

> Yes, it has been a known problem with some Dell models.  Seems its a
> BIOS problem.  Setting the Video RAM buffer to 8M instead of the default
> 1M usually fixes it.  However they "attempted" to fix the bios in an A03
> release which made the bios fix no longer work.  You just have to force
> 32MB - 48MB for its video ram in X.org's config.

I recall the A03 message on the BIOS screen. Thanks everyone for the
advice/hints.

As a sidenote: I tested another computer with an sis 690 (# may be
wrong). This computer seemed to be able to show 800 x 600 through
gnome-display-properties and system-config-display allows more
selections, but gnome-display-properties seems to have the real control.

> These two options have solved the problem for me, however here is some
> more info about it:
>
> http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html

Thanks!

>>2) Is the i810 driver correct for this card to use?
>

> Yes it is

With video, I didn't want to wildcard my choices. Thanks!

--
A day for firm decisions!!!!!  Or is it?