Broken pause/seek in rhythmbox with FC2 test update for gstreamer using alsasink

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 15 23:48:12 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm seeing some problems with the test update of gstreamer (0.8.3-2) &
plugins (0.8.2-2) in FC2 test updates, namely, pausing and seeking
essentially don't work in Rhythmbox using alsasink for output. (I
updated since I was getting random sound dropouts in Rhythmbox before;
this does seem to be fixed with the test update - yay!).

What happens is basically that when I pause the playing and restart it,
I get no sound for a long time, then after a few minutes the rest of the
song plays. The progress indicator in Rhythmbox keeps moving during the
silent period until it hits the song length; by the time it starts
playing again it is typically pinned at the end of the song.

I saw this posting on gstreamer-devel regarding seeking brokenness with
alsasink:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5124747&forum_id=5947
The symptoms seem a bit different, but still, I changed to esdsink and
the problem was gone. Benjamin Otte (second poster in the thread) seems
to think that a seeking problem might have been present in 0.8.2
alsasink but should be fixed in CVS; perhaps it would be worth updating
alsasink to the CVS state to test? If others are seeing the same
problems I am it's not particularly useful the way it is! Certainly the
problem seems to be in alsasink since using esd for output seems to fix
everything.

Best regards,
Per Bjornsson

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University