fc3t1 can't find usb scanner

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 17 03:38:25 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:

> Gerry Tool wrote:
>

>> [root at gstpc log]# sane-find-scanner
>>
>>  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
>> sure that
>>  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>>
>>  # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make
>> sure that
>>  # you have loaded a driver for your USB host controller and have
>> installed a
>>  # kernel scanner module.
>>
>>  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>>
>>  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
>> ports
>>  # can't be detected by this program.
>> [root at gstpc log]# scanimage -L
>>
>> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
>> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
>> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
>> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>> [root at gstpc log]# grep avc dmesg
>> [root at gstpc log]#
>>
>> Gerry
>>

> I tried "dmesg |grep avc" and of course did not get errors.
>
> I did note this in dmesg when trying w/o grep filtering
> This is when I pulled the power off of my usb hub and then plugged it
> back in.
> If I remember correctly, didn't you have to do something special with
> a config file? The thread was:
> Re: Scanner does not work as user
>

> Jim
>

> usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 3
> usb 1-2.3: USB disconnect, address 4
> updfstab: Using deprecated /dev/sg mechanism instead of SG_IO on the
> actual device
> updfstab: Using deprecated /dev/sg mechanism instead of SG_IO on the
> actual device
> usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 5
> hub 1-2:1.0: USB hub found
> hub 1-2:1.0: 4 ports detected
> usb 1-2.3: new full speed USB device using address 6

I did a little more testing and find that I have a lot of USB problems
in fc3t1.

I cannot boot with either kernel 478 or 492; they both stop at the line
"Mounting USB File System".  I can boot fine with kernel 488.  Even
then, as noted above, my USB scanner is missing, and my USB key storage
device which works perfectly in FC2 and FC1 is also missing.  A USB
mouse works fine.  There is no difference in operation if I have this
mouse plugged in or not.

Unfortunately, I can't unplug/replug my USB channels - they are built
into the CPU box.

Below are the lines in /var/log/messages from my last boot using

[root at gstpc log]# grep usb messages

Jul 16 22:14:02 gstpc kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial Driver core v2.0
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: usbcore: registered new driver hub
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID
core driver
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using
address 3
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: usb 1-3: device not accepting address 3,
error -71
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using
address 2
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: usb 3-2: new low speed USB device using
address 2
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Wireless Mouse
Wireless Mouse] on usb-0000:00:0e.1-2
Jul 16 22:23:09 gstpc kernel: usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using
address 2
Jul 16 22:23:12 gstpc kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Generic
Jul 16 22:23:12 gstpc kernel: usbcore: registered new driver
usbserial_generic