fc3t1 can't find usb scanner

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 17 15:13:16 UTC 2004

Gerry Tool wrote:

> New data from FC2 and FC3T1
>
> USB messages in /var/log/messages from bootup on FC2
>
> kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
>
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
> usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
> usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
> usb 5-3: new high speed USB device using address 2
> usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 3
> =========
> I believe 3-1 is the scanner since I have to chmod /proc/bus/usb/003/002
> in FC2 to get the scanner to work.
> In addition to the scanner, my smartmedia card and my USB key show up in
> Hardware Browser
> =========
>
> USB messages in /var/log/messages from bootup on FC3T1
>
> kernel 2.6.7-1.488
>
> usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using address 3
> usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
> usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
> usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
> drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
> usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
> usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
> drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
> =========
> The numbers are different here than in FC2.  The scanner is not to be
> found by root with sane-find-scanner, but the smartmedia card and USB
> key do show up in hardware browser.
>
> Gerry

It looks to me that the 3 and 2 from FC2 are correct. What confuses this
novice is the absence of a 3 in FC3T1 and having the usbserial driver
added for your system. (no serial USB before) - My guess is that with
the comparison between FC2 and FC3 test, you have a real bug on your hands.

I trimmed out the date information in hopes of this making more sense to me.

I also ran the hardware browser and my scanner was recognized under
system devices. This is without plugging and unplugging the USB port to
the scanner.

If it is not in the HW browser, it is a bug. :-)

Also, I shutdown my system yesterday (Thunderstorm) and am using the
2.6.7-1.492 kernel on powering on today. X was *very* slow coming up.

Jim