SATA boot whish for FC3

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Tue Jul 20 20:53:17 UTC 2004

On July 20, 2004 11:24 am, Geoffrey Leach <geoff at direcway.com> wrote:
>  It is true that SATA support was missing in FC1, as it was first
> available in the 2.6 kernel.  SATA drivers use /dev/sd? for the disks,
> of course.

This isn't strictly true.

Some SATA drivers were available in the 2.4 Kernel and RedHat Enterprise 3.0
came with Silicon Image 3112 support though I am not sure you could install
to it.

As for drive letter assignment that depends on the SATA controller. The
promise you have appears to the system as a SCSI device and thus
uses /dev/sd? lettering. However my VIA SATA controller appears as an ide
device. This is with both controllers being supported via libata.
Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--