Yum upgrade from FC2 to FC3 possible?

Tony Jones tony at immunix.com
Thu Jul 22 19:03:29 UTC 2004

Well, as I said I got yum working (the old 1.90 era version was crashing).

Had to manually satisfy some dependancies (like removing lvm so that lvm2
would load -- and getting rid of XFree86-devel, due to the move to x.org).

At this point yum would get to the end of the dependancies stage (at one
point prompting me Y/N to continue) and both times the network stack would
go awol.   I could log onto the serial console, everything looked ok
(except the yum process had long ago being HUP'd), interface looked good,
routes were good, but had zero network connectivity.  stopping and starting
the interface did nothing,  init.d/network stop/start changed nothing, had
to reboot in both cases.

Gave up.  Downloaded the FC3T1 ISOs.

Get a media failure on testing disk1 (in the installer) and it aborts at
install time "There was an error installing glibc-2.3.3-36 This can indicate
media failure, lack of disk space, and/or hardware problems.  This is a fatal
error and your install will be aborted. Please verify your media and try your
install".

dd'd the contents of the CD-R back onto the system and it passes the MD5 cksum
on the fedora.redhat.com website.  the CD-R also compares byte for byte against
the ISO I downloaded.

Tried to install on a different system and the media check failed in the same
way for disk1. Didn't try actually installing on this second system to see if
I get the same glib error.

This is harder than I expected :-)

Tony