yum groupinstall groupupgrade

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Tue Jul 27 05:07:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Harry Putnam wrote:

> How do the yum options groupinstall groupupgrade work?
>
> The yum man page doesn't bother to explain any more than:
>         * groupinstall [...]
>         * groupupdate [...]
>
> Which appears it would be
>  `yum groupupgrade pkg pkg2 pkg3'
>
> That fails though so it must mean something different.
>     yum groupupdate cdda2wav cdrecord
>   Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
>   Server: My fedraw mirror, or real carroll rawhide, or kernel.org mirror rawhide
>  Finding updated packages
>  Downloading needed headers
>  Getting groups from servers
>  yumgroups.xml 0% |   |    0 B --:-- ET
>  yumgroups.xml 100% |=========================| 411 kB    00:00

Harry, Try yum grouplist to see a list of groups. Also you can look into
the yumgroups.xml file(s) and modify what is in the groups or create your
own groups, assuming you have a repository to put the yumgroups.xml file in.

I have a bunch of custom groups that I use for duplicating machines via
kickstart. If you only want to use your own yumgroups.xml files you can use
the enablegroups parameter in the config file. Basically adding the word
group to a command such as yum groupinstall groupname will perform the same
commands as yum install pkg except that it will install the whole group
of packages instead of a single package.

Hope this makes sense.

Tom