Kernel-2.6.7-1.494 and Nvidia Drivers

Brian R Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Wed Jul 28 14:19:25 UTC 2004

> unfortionately your report is useless unless you can reproduce
> without nvidia.

Unless you are running Kernel-2.6.7-1.494 with the Nvidia drivers and
have problems.  There aren't a whole lot of people running
Kernel-2.6.7-1.494 so posting this report to Nvidia would have been
useless.  I posted it here in case people who are running
Kernel-2.6.7-1.494, likely FC-devel people, run into the same problem.

As well, if I were like some people and had 4 or 5 machines laying
around with different hardware, I'd have already tested this theory
without "nvidia", but some of us are not that lucky.  Laptops don't
surrender their video cards for replacement easily.  I could try using
the "nv" driver, but it certainly wouldn't help in testing 3d.  I could
try to see if the kacpid process races without the "nvidia" driver on my
machine???

I know that you guys do not tailor the kernel to run with the nvidia
drivers, that its nvidia's responsibility to produce a driver that will
run on their customers machine.  I just figured there might be _someone_
on here that would benefit from my encounter.

-brian