dovecot imap available for testing, latest upstream release 0.99.10.6

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Fri Jul 2 10:15:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 02:23:53PM -0400, John Dennis wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 13:22, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> > > Release     : 1,FC2,1   <---- What is this??????????????
>
> > Please don't continue using these Release strings, all it does it break
> > things...
>
> We've been having an internal discussion recently about how to make the
> release field meaningful. In the past it was typically an integer, which
> had no meaning in the context of multiple simultaneous distributions. In
> the last year or two some packages have started encoding strings into
> the release such as AS, RHEL3, FC1, etc. Is it this practice you are
> referring to in general or the specific case cited above? What
> specifically is breaking?

Let me invent a statistic: 99% of all packages produced by everyone ever
use '.' as a component separator in release/version/etc fields - it is
an accepted convention.

The question is: why be inconsistent with all those packages, and start
using a comma?  It makes no difference to rpmvercmp, it still treats the
field as three separate segments.

joe