Yum extremely slow

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 3 15:02:17 UTC 2004

On Saturday 03 July 2004 07:07, Markku Kolkka wrote:
>Gene Heskett kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika lauantai, 3.
>
>heinäkuuta 2004 12:34):
>> On Saturday 03 July 2004 04:03, Florin Andrei wrote:
>> >Use a mirror instead of the overloaded master site.
>>
>> And (probably stupid question) where might a list of these
>> mirrors be found?
>
>http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

Mmmm, I added a few more of the mirrors with the 'baseurl' syntax, to
the [Updates-Released] block, but this is as far as I get:
------
[root at coyote root]# yum update

Unable to find pid  <<--this is new, wtf?
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
---------

And its been sitting there for about 3 minutes.  No further network
activity other than something is doing an outbound query at 30 second
intervals.

Ah, it exited, with this error:
----------
Damaged or Bad header.info from Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
This is probably because of a downed server or an invalid header.info
on a repository.
[root at coyote root]#

I've noted that for several of those sites that I've browsed, the only
fedora is 2, 1 is not being mirrored at these other sites.  Has FC1
reached its end of life or something?  Over the last month its gone
from pretty dependable to spotty, to totally non-existant for the
last 3 days now.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.