Failed hard disk install

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 19 11:21:00 UTC 2004

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> I'm trying to install FC3 test 1 here...
> First , all cds have the right md5.  Burnt cd1 , placed the isos on
> /dev/hdc1 (fat32 partition that I always used in disk installs , except
> in fedora core 2 test 2 , when I had to use a dvd disk).
> After booting with linux askmethod selinux=0 xfs jfs hde=noprobe
> hdf=noprobe hdg=noprobe hdh=noprobe  (to test both xfs and jfs and dont
> have to wait to sata probing), I got a failure message when I selected
> the right directory and device , saying that the iso files werent found.
> Switching to the other vts , there was this message:
> <4> VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev hdc1
> <4> Unable to load NLS charset ascii
> <3> fat: IO charset ascii not found
>
> I decided to give another try and copied the isos to my home xfs
> partition (dont have any ext2/3 partitions here.. only xfs). Again ,
> same options and same error...
>
> As I said before , the same fat partition has been used to install all
> the fedora stable and test releases since fedora core 1 on my computer ,
> except for fedora core 2 test 2 , which asked me for a driver to use the
> harddisk , so I installed from a dvd... Also , I havent changed anything
> on this partition (it's where I keep all my iso files and a few other
> things that I dont change very often)
>
> Just added this to bugzilla , under bug number 128135 .
>
> --
> Pedro Macedo

Related to a vfat failure, I could not assign a mount to a vfat
partition. This worked in FC2.

I added info to the report that related to vfat failures during install.

Trying to mount a vfat partition during install such as /mnt/vfat will
halt the installer with an error.

Jim
--
I guess I've been so wrapped up in playing the game that I never took
time enough to figure out where the goal line was -- what it meant to