X - locked on dots, no keyboard - advice on diagnosis

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 22 00:29:17 UTC 2004

On the dell computer that I got the video to work by advice by people on
the list. I had X displaying a black screen w/ white dots scattered
sparsely. I also could not switch to any screen terminal and the
keyboard lights were out.
I was running the ftp client to transfer files from a windows computer
to the FC3T1 fresh install. This service was still transferring files
and also the web server was still working.
I eventually had the file transfer complete,then pressed ctl-alt-del and
the computer eventually rebooted. I did not see any difference on the
screen until I saw the grub menu. Then the computer booted up into
windows. This indicates that the system should have entered runlevel 6
after the ctl-alt-del.

A basic summary regarding the conditions the system was booted in follow:
- Running the latest 494smp kernel
- On bootup, a message regarding AGP and S3 conflicting disabling S3
- Some odd boot messages passing quickly by, no apparent errors displayed.
- Screen savers set to cycle every minute randomly. Was logged into X as
a regular user.
Checked computer periodically and all seemed alright. After about 1.5
hrs, noticed screen displaying the speckled white dots and smears.
Noted ftp transfer still proceeding. Also checked apache was functioning.
processor is a P4 w/ hyperthreading, 512 MB memory.

My questions are regarding what logs to provide?
What config files to provide?
What runlevel to boot into. (I use level 3 mostly, would level 1 be better?)
Any other additions of useful testing practices appreciated. I don't
want to wipe any info out that might aid in bug resolution.

Thanks!
Jim