startx vs init 5

Brian R Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Mon Jul 26 19:12:29 UTC 2004

Dwaine,

Some output from the console while running 'startx' would be helpful.
We'd like to see some of these error messages.  Init level 5 has, at the
end of the startup sequence, some script to start up gdm, the graphical
login manager.  This runs as the user gdm.  'startx' runs X and your
xsession as whoever you are logged in as so obviously there will be some
differences in the environment.

If you check out /etc/inittab you can see that this line
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
starts up gdm.  You might want to look at the /etc/X11/prefdm script.

Post some error messages and I'd be more than happy to help.

-brian