Thinkpad X40 and xorg-6.7.0-3

Giuseppe Castagna Giuseppe.Castagna at ens.fr
Mon Jun 7 16:32:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 16:13, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> APM suspend nearly works; I can suspend and resume without the X
> server running, but as soon as I try to start X after a resume the
> graphics system is completely wedged; the following lines are repeated
> endlessly:
>
> Jun  4 10:58:17 rashi kernel: mtrr: base(0xe0020000) is not aligned on a size(0x300000) boundary
> Jun  4 10:58:24 rashi kernel: [drm:i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* space: 130652 wanted 131064
> Jun  4 10:58:24 rashi kernel: [drm:i830_wait_ring] *ERROR* lockup
> Jun  4 10:58:26 rashi kdm[2861]: X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
>
> If I suspend in graphics mode the machine locks hard.

If I close the lid I receive this error

ACPI breakpoint: Executed AML Breakpoint opcode

I think that the problem is the i810 driver. I thought it was a memory
allocation problem so I tried to reserve the memory in xorg.conf with
the option VideoRam 32768 (and also tried up to 128Mb ... I have 1Gb
ram) but it did not work.

I posted the same message on the linux on Thinkpad mailing list and I
received this answer

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 12:48, Stephan Frank wrote:
> I think you are out of luck here. Since there is not sufficient
> information available about the necessary register values there is
> currently no good support for this chipset in the xfree drivers apart
> from the stuff the standard BIOS calls provide. This also affects people
> which have high resolution displays (1400x1050 and more) since the BIOS
> is not know about such high resolutions. People are currently fiddling
> with BIOS/driver routine disassembling to work out how stuff is done
> under windows (see the xfree-devel list). For the moment I see two
> option for you: a) try out the binary only Intel Embedded Graphics
> drivers [1] (which according to the website provide Dual-display
> capabilities; however, I personally did not test since this driver
> currently does not support the 1400x1050 screen resolution I looked
> for), or b) use a commercial X-Server like Accelerated X [2].

I had already tried (a) but abandoned since the Inter driver works only
on 2.4.* kernels. I will try (b) since they provide demo drivers. In the
meanwhile I discovered this,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/i855crt
which may be worth trying (but I need a monitor or a videobeamer to test
my external monitor exit and I do not have one here at home)

Thanks for your help.

---Beppe---