Rawhide boot failure: init wants selinux_getenforcemode

Jonathan Corbet lwn-fedora-test at lwn.net
Wed Jun 23 00:46:23 UTC 2004

I'm getting more SELinux-related weirdness on my x86_64 rawhide box.  I
just did a reboot after an update, and init croaked with:

  /sbin/init: symbol lookup error: /sbin/init: undefined symbol: selinux_getenforcemode

Needless to say, I didn't get the nice graphical login screen I was
hoping for.  Tossing an older SysVinit package onto the system made it
bootable, but this episode does bring to mind a few questions:

- Why am I getting things failing with weird, missing selinux symbols?
  And why is nobody else complaining about it?

- Why isn't init staticly linked?  As a general rule, I like it better
  when init actually works regardless of what else might be hosed on the
  system.

- Any chance you could cram a couple more colons into the error message?

The most pressing question for me is the "why only me?" part.  Where is
selinux_getenforcemode supposed to be defined?  libselinux.so would seem
to be a likely one, but I don't find it there...

Thanks,

jon

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net