kernel 2.6.6 - opengl - 810 video problem

Mike Lurk mike.lurk at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 1 21:40:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 07:30:11AM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> > I run into that with i830 video (really 845).  Symptomps are pretty
> > simple.  You try to start anything using openGL, like glxgears or
> > any GL based screensaver,  and there is an instant lockup with no
> > traces in logs and only a power switch still working.
>
> 845 seems to be newer than my chipset. I hope the 403 version
released
> by arjan today fixes the breakage for you.

It is difficult for me to check at this moment as the machine where
this was observed "went to work" and it will be back only in a
month.  Some other who were affected by this problem should re-test
and carry the banner. :-)

   Micha

I am running the 2.6.6-1.403 kernel now and it seems it sort of works.
You can run a game in windowed mode but if you try to run it full screen
it knocks you out of the desktop and puts you to the login screen. Just
for the hell of it I checked prelink.log and any xscreensaver  that uses
opengl I got and error. Here's an example;

/usr/sbin/prelink: /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/flurry: Cannot prelink
against non-PIC shared library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2

I don't know if that would have anything to do with the problem but I
thought you might want to know.

Mike