Connection problems

Matt Hansen matt at matthansen.net
Sun Jun 20 02:16:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 09:24, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> If I use a terminal window and type
>
> ping ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk
>
> This appears
>
> PING ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk (146.87.55.6) 56(84) bytes of data
> >From 192.168.2.103 icmp_seq=0 Destination host unreachable
>
> And that's it. The name has been correctly resolved, but nothing else is happening.

Hi Paul,

Check your network interface duplex settings with mii-tool. In my case,
I got ICMP destination host unreachable errors such as yours when my
linux router's interfaces were set to 100Mbps after a reboot  since it
only supported 10Mbps.
So assuming your routing tables are set correctly, maybe link
auto-negotiation is playing up.

Regards,
Matt
--
Registered Linux User #348963 / counter.li.org
GnuPG KeyID: 0xCE9F8922 / gnupg.org