thoughts on the winXP boot bug

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Wed Jun 23 11:10:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 21:38 +0100, Kepa Lyman wrote:
> So after successfully convincing my boss to allow me to install linux at work
> on a dual boot machine, I did so this week.  Guess what?  The infamous (that
> I am now newly aware of) win XP dual boot bug rears its ugly head!  Now I'm
> in trouble for screwing up a windows computer that other people need, and the
> case for linux at work has just recieved a nail in the coffin... So I get to
> try to fix this on my own time, thank you fedora, and just hope that in the
> far off future I can try again with fedora core 10 or something...

Well, you're catching plenty of flack, but it is rather ironic that you
posted this to fedora-test-list where it was endlessly discussed before
the release, and where there is at least one pre-release post from you.
I can't argue that it is a nasty bug and that it is unfortunate that FC2
was knowingly released containing it, at least without a large
disclaimer at the top of the release notes; however, the information is
out there prominently, and FCx is not being touted for production
machines.  Check out RHEL, WBEL, Tao, CentOS, ..., particularly in such
a touchy situation as you chose to do a Linux demonstration for your
management.  Good luck recovering - the machine and your reputation.

Phil