Request for testing: xterm 191

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Jun 24 17:30:15 UTC 2004

I've recently upgraded xterm to version 191 in rawhide.
Currently, the included xterm resources shipped are the stock
upstream xterm resources with no additional Red Hat
modifications.  I've left our our customizations in order to
determine which ones are still needed, and which ones we can
eliminate.

If you are an xterm user using Fedora Core 1 or 2, please upgrade
to this xterm release and test it as much as possible.  Run full
screen text mode apps that use color, be sure to use emacs and
other software that uses various keystrokes and combinations.
Also use apps that use function keys, and if you use xterm over
the network, be sure to test it's interactions over the network
as well.

Particular things to look for:
- Color changes
- Backspace/Delete key changes of behaviour on standard Intel PC
  keyboard hardware (ie: the Backspace key should perform the
  standard PC backspace function of deleting the character to
  the left of the cursor, the DEL key should perform the standard
  PC DELETE function of deleting the character under the cursor)
- Function key changes
- Changes to 8-bit character handling, unicode, etc.

Please try to be as thorough as possible, so that I can resolve
any regressions or inadvertent changes soon.  If you've reported
a bug in xterm before to us which was fixed in a future release,
it is recommended that you please test for that bug again also.

My goal is to try to keep our xterm package as close to upstream
as possible without causing major changes in behaviour from what
existing users are used to from Red Hat supplied xterm.  From
time to time we need to make changes to compromise between
differing expected behaviours, however we try to keep that
minimal.

Please report back your testing results here to this mailing
list, however if you discover bugs, also report them to our
bugzilla.

Thanks in advance for testing xterm.

--
Mike A. Harris        ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer   -   X11 Developer   -   Red Hat