What happened kernel-source?

Ernest L. Williams Jr. ernesto at ornl.gov
Sun Jun 27 11:31:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 03:43, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 03:51, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What happened to the kernel-source at: ??
> > http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/RPMS.kernel/
> >
> > I need this to recompile my NVIDIA drivers for
> >
> > kernel-2.6.7-1.448
>
> you don't need (nor can use) kernel-sourcecode package for compiling
> drivers.... the normal rpms have all the needed info already.
NVIDIA suggests that kernel-source is indeed used.

Here is the error directly from the nvidia installer:
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This is most
likely because the kernel module was
         built using the wrong kernel source files.  Please make sure
you have installed the kernel source
         files for your kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example,
be sure you have the 'kernel-source'
         rpm installed.  If you know the correct kernel source files are
installed, you may specify the
         kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' commandline
option

What is the kernel-sourcecode package used for?

Thanks,
Ernest

Ernest L. Williams Jr. <ernesto at ornl.gov>