new xterm and erase setting

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Jun 30 17:58:56 UTC 2004

Mike doesn't seem to be paying attention to this somewhat dated
thread but in case anyone else is noticing.... it seems the erase
setting is different than previous xterms.  I get
  erase = ^?
looking at stty -a output.

I think this means that the backspace key in emacs -nw will not
function as expected (without some elisp correction) but will call
`help' instead.

Very disconcerting when coding at full speed.

One can set erase to ^H in .bash_profile or similar but then there is
the need to keep up with that setting when changing users or etc.

I'm guessing the old defualt was `erase = ^H' but not really sure.  I
don't see any settings in my rc files so apparently it didn't need any
setting before.