Heres a dumb one - where does intitrd `img' come from

Jay Turner jkt at redhat.com
Mon Mar 1 12:26:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 03:47:14AM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Where does the /boot/initrd*.img come from.
>
> I never thought to much about that file other than seeing it in lilo
> or grub.
>
> rpm -qf doesn't know about it.  Its built during a kernel install I
> think but just now having built a kernel (not yet installed) I don't
> find that under the `build' directory.
>
> There is 1012MB of data there though... yikes.  Is that normal?

The initrd image is built as part of the kernel installation process.
There's a postinstallation script which calls /sbin/new-kernel-pkg which
takes care of creating the initrd image and modifying the boot loader.

As for their being 1G of stuff in your BUILD directory, it really just
depends on what you've been building.  You might want to check in there and
see where all of the space is getting utilized and prune as needed, but if
you've been building lots of packages recently, then having that much space
utilized isn't that strange.

- jkt

--
Jay Turner, QA Technical Lead      jkt at redhat.com             Red Hat, Inc.

        Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
                                                   - Albert Einstein