kernel rebuild does'nt build actual kernel

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 19:00:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 11:26 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Thanks again.. all info you've supplied is usefull, however maybe I
> wasnt clear ... the key words above were `FROM THE SPEC FILE'.

OK. There are no more BOOT, enterprise, debug, jensen, tape, or BOOTtape
kernels in the 2.6 FC2 tree, just UP and SMP for for i586 and i686 (and
sparc/sparc64, but thats only relevant to me right now).

This means that the FC2 2.6 kernel spec can generate a grand total of
four different x86 (32 bit) binary kernels.

If you want to just build UP (or just SMP), you should be able to adjust
the variables at the top of the 2.6 spec file, just as you could for
2.4. If you want to build for a specific arch, you need to pass it as a
--target on the commandline, just as you had to do with 2.4. The only
place these variables are overwritten is for the -source package, which
is ONLY built for i386, because it makes no sense to have a i586/i686
version of the kernel-source package.

If anything, this is easier than 2.4.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader

"The author's mathematical treatment of the conception of purpose is
novel and highly ingenious, but heretical and, so far as the present
social order is concerned, dangerous and potentially subversive. Not
to be published." -- Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"