amd_64 SATA status question

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Thu Mar 11 16:28:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:03:50AM -0500, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I also found this one:
> MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R K8T800 SATA/R/A/GBE/1394/ATX Athlon64
>
> Will the on-chip NIC and sound be supported or do I need to buy additional
> cards?

I also have this board and test with it.  Onboard NIC and onboard SATA work
well.  Note, on this board, the Gigabit is on the PCI bus, so you do not
exactly get the best performance, but it is slightly better than 100Mb.
The Gigabyte K8NPro board places the gig on a seperate bus, so transfer
speeds are considerably better.  The trade off is no SATA support.  Of
course the SATA chipset is also on that bus, so even if you had SATA
support, it would most likely degrade your NIC performance.

Justin