The new X.org X11 implementation, has now been put in rawhide (was

netopml at newview.com netopml at newview.com
Wed Mar 17 22:06:13 UTC 2004

mharris at redhat.com ("Mike A. Harris") writes:
> I look forward to hearing people's good/bad success/failure
> reports, and any problems that arise being filed in bugzilla with
> as many details as possible.

I will bugzilla the following later (against which package?) but so far,
the upgrade on 2 computers (a desktop and a laptop) was pretty easy.

I had conflicts with openoffice and ttmkfdir and fonts-ja:
        XFree86-font-utils < 4.2.99.2-0.20021126.3 conflicts with ttmkfdir-3.0.9-10
        XFree86 is needed by (installed) openoffice.org-1.1.0-30
        XFree86-75dpi-fonts is needed by (installed) fonts-ja-8.0-11

No big deal. I ran rpm with --nodeps

But after it was done, the /usr/X11R6/lib was gone from /etc/ld.so.conf so
I had a problem loading dynamic libraries meaning X wouldn't start. I put
it back there, ran ldconfig and I was almost back in business except I had
to restart xfs (service xfs restart, I guess the post install in the rpm
should do that).

That was it, took less than 5 minutes: great job...
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer              E-Mail : mathieu at newview.com
       Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
                    explained by stupidity.
                     -- Hanlon's Razor --