Strange package dependency problem

Swamper swamper at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 22 00:03:33 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 14:20 -0500, Swamper wrote:
> > William Hooper wrote:
> > > I wouldn't let a cron job update my system from a stable tree, let alone
> > Why then is yum installed to run daily in the default setup for
>
> the cron job is just for convenience.

Imagine how convenient it would be if it didn't choke on any
little thing out of the ordinary.

> > package because it thinks there is a problem but, again, why
> > abort the whole process because one package has a problem when
> > there are several others waiting that will update just fine?
>
> B/c an update is a single transaction. Either the transaction fails or
> it succeeds.

And if it fails to update multiple pending packages that will
update fine just because it detects that one of them might not
update properly then it failed to do what it was intended to do
and that is to try to keep the system updated.  It fails to
succeed; Correct?

> > Yep.  You want status reports.  I want results.
>
> you seem to just want to complain w/o offering real help to solve this
> supposed problem.

Do you want real help to solve a supposed problem or supposed
help to solve a real problem?  If I'm the only one that sees
room for improvement with yum then don't worry, be happy.