Kernel compilation error

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Mar 22 17:33:37 UTC 2004

Guo Yang <gxy3139 at njit.edu> writes:

> I always get this error when I try to build a cumstomized Arjan's
> latest test kernel 2.6.4-1.279 during  'make bzImage' stage:
>
>   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
> lib/lib.a(string.o)(*ABS*+0x5152e605): In function `__crc_memcmp':
> string.c: multiple definition of `__crc_memcmp'
> make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

Aside:
  I'm not really buying Dave's position regards bugzilla... I've found
  too many times things are more related to my usage or setup and would
  only clutter up Bugzilla.  Any way if bugzilla is the answer to
  everthing we could just as well disband this list.

I had similar results... although a different error.  Similar but not
the same.  Finally I couldn't even get a build to  run at all with:
2.6.4-1.278  (I haven't tried the 279 you referenced)

I suspect some fundamental problem with the rpms  kernel-source

Not being much of a kernel  builder, I chickened out and reverted to
 linux-2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1 (Latest in rawhide)

But all I really wanted was to enable smbfs and try the NTFS
experimental stuff.  However, in going thru config I went ahead and
took out quite a lot of other stuff too.

It built without a hitch... if you don't need something in 2.6.4
maybe try what I did.