Running xorg without xf86config

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 07:53:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

So that I can get things working on my test box again, I've noticed that
it is possible (from a posting on this list) that you can run xorg
without xf86config. How do I do that?

I'm considering reinstalling xfree86 4.4.0 to get things working again,
but I'd rather be using xorg to ensure my machine is running the
official xorg software. Unfortunately, time is pressing me on this one.

I've also noticed a selinux problem. Boot with selinux enabled and xorg
fails to start. Boot without selinux and xorg starts fine. Okay, I can't
get into gnome (and evolution won't work under KDE - it comes up with an
X error (can't start 0 - you know the one)) as I get the Xsession error
(missing ']'). When starting selinux, I also see a pile of what look to
be profile errors (write forbidden errors - they come up too quickly).
Is there a howto on setting up profiles - I'm on more than enough
mailing lists and don't really want to join the selinux one.

It has been suggested that I liberally sprinkle strace around the place.
Any suggestions where to sprinkle them or my other problems? I have
relabelled the files

TTFN

Paul
--