hmmmm, now what - radeon and xorg configuration

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Mar 25 02:21:26 UTC 2004

joe wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:

>>> Is there such a list for 3D video harware with fully open source drivers
>>> (no binary thanks) that support at least some of the 3D features of the
>>> hardware? I hope the list is not empty...
>>>

>> Intel have pretty good support for their chipsets and are one vendor who
>> generally fund this stuff for their bits. VIA provided the original 3D
>> code for the CLE266 which is now supported (FC2t lacks some oddments).
>> 3DFx Voodoo 3+ work well (except on FC2t right now but thats hopefully
>> going to sort out). Some radeons (7xxx,9000,9100 but not the high end
>> ones),
>> and also rage 128 work well.
>>

> Agreed, voodoo3 cards work great, out of the box - and you can still
> find them for sale, cheap.
>
> Intel onboard (i8xx) video chipsets generally work fine too, but I have
> not had any luck with any ATI chipsets - I have gotten lockups every
> time I tried an ATI card - and the last time was a few months ago on
> FC1. If I had the time I'd go through the code and look for locking
> problems or whatever, but it's just easier to buy a different video card.
>
> Joe

I tried to load Fedora Core 1 on a machine with an ATI card and it did
not take through vmware. I then tried the disks for Fedora core 2 Test 1
and it installed pretty decent, through vmware also.

I haven't tried a native installation of Fedora on this computer yet. I
am tempted though, but want to wait for the final release, being a work
computer. (800 MHz FSB, hyperthreading, 2.8 GHz, etc) - I asked to stay
away from the nvidia chipset.

Maybe FC2T1 will have enough improvements to work with the ATI hardware
that you have.

Related to the Intel 810, I'm impressed on how well the drivers work for
my home machine. The drivers seem have not let m down yet.

Jim