xorg install - X won't start completely

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Mar 25 02:52:20 UTC 2004

Maynard Kuona wrote:

>>Section "Module"
>>         Load  "dbe"
>>         Load  "extmod"
>>         Load  "fbdevhw"
>>         Load  "glx"
>>         Load  "record"
>>         Load  "freetype"
>>         Load  "type1"
>>         Load  "dri"
>>EndSection
>>

> Also, xorg supports running without XF86config. I used this to fix mine
> after it wouldn't find my fonts. Although it was running at limited
> resolution.

How does it support running without a configuration file? Is there
another file for configuring X somewhere? Or you talking about the old
configuration program before redhat-config-xfree86?

If it figured out dynamically which settings were best for the machine.
It seems that there would be long delays starting and a chance of
over-excercising the video card with setting trials.

If it went by some database for cards, took the settings, stored the
settings in specific registers, then used other standardized schemes, it
might work.

I'm glad the module excerpt helped improve the resolution for graphics.

Jim